Mission

Non-Profit, 501(c)(3)

Mission:
The Dragonfly Centre is committed to the elimination of domestic violence against women and their children by providing victim friendly services that promotes the empowerment of survivors; through advocacy, public awareness and education and community based initiatives.

Vision: The Dragonfly Centre envisions a world free of violence against women and their children and social justice for all. We are founded on the vision and belief that every person has the right to live in a safe environment free from violence and the fear of violence and strive to work collaboratively with the community to provide victim friendly services to support domestic violence victims, survivors to the stage of thriving.

Now on Facebook:


Tuesday, April 2, 2013

‘Law Failed Me’

‘Law failed me’
By Cecily Asson Tuesday, March 26 2013
“The law is not helping victims of domestic abuse.”
This is the view of battered woman, Patricia Rachel Mohammed, 31, a mother of six, who told Newsday that two months after she was physically abused by a male relative, police are yet to take action.

“Even my son was hit in his head by the man and a female relative burnt him with a lighter and when I went to the station they told me they can’t do anything about it,” Mohammed said yesterday. She showed what she said was a burn mark on her son’s chin and a bump on his forehead.

She said: “The law has failed me.”

On January 28, Mohammed reported to officers at the Marabella Police Station that she was beaten by a close male relative. She said the officers sent her to the San Fernando General Hospital for a medical examination.

She produced X-ray sheets which she said showed, she suffered injuries as a result of the beating.

Mohammed said she still suffers with pains to her chest and her back.

“The police send me to get a medical when he beat me, but you know up to now they have done nothing. He always beating me,” Mohammed said.

She showed Newsday the receipt she received from the police when she made the report in January. Mohammed, of Rumstill Avenue, Rousillac, was reunited with five of her six children on Saturday night after an absence from her home for nine days which caused relatives to fear the worst.

She returned much to the relief of her mother Annie Mohammed.

Mohammed said during the days she was missing she did not know where she was.

“I think that people are working against me. I don’t even know where I was for those days. I was only falling asleep every time I tried to get up,” she said.

Mohammed said she was able to eventually “walk away” and find her way back to her Rousillac home.

Source: http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,175355.html
spacer

No comments: